Sunday 6 March 2011

Pistachio Macaroons!

Ok so these would have been surprisingly easy to make had my mixer worked and my piping bag not burst. I got this recipe from 'How to be a domestic goddess', one of the easiest, nicest sounding recipes for macaroons i've come across however the recipe said the pistachios had to be like dust. My mixer did not have the capability to make dust, only fine pistachio gravel. I thought that this was the end of my pistachio macaroons but i actually found that especially in the filling that the small pieces were rather pleasant. So that was one disaster avoided, but then my new Tala piping bag burst. Never ever ever attempt spooning macaroons onto the baking sheet- however careful you are it does not produce uniform circles! I had no other option so although the macaroons tasted delicious, they looked awful. I promise that if you use a piping bag then they will be perfect macaroons!

For the macaroon:

75g pistachios
125g icing sugar
2 large egg whites
15g caster sugar

For the butter cream:

55g pistachios
250g icing sugar
125g butter, softened

Method:

Grind the pistachios and icing sugar in a food processer until they are like dust (i am not convinced this is possible, just try make them as fine as possible). Whisk the egg whites, gradually adding the sugar until stiff. Fold in the pistachio 'dust' gently. Pipe small rounds onto a baking sheet it should make approximately 40 rounds. Let them sit for ten minutes until they form a skin. Put them in the oven at 180C for 10-12 minutes until set. For the butter cream grind the pistachios and icing sugar as before then cream this with the butter. One cooled sandwich the macaroons together with butter cream and enjoy! They should make around 20.



No comments:

Post a Comment