Saturday 24 September 2011

The perfect scone and a fish finger sandwich..


My blog has been very neglected these past few weeks and i may have to become a budget baker from now on and live off baked beans and fish fingers.. I am eventually, and very happily a university student!

I would love it if anyone could suggest any tasty, student and vegetarian meals and i will be sure to cook and post the best one! In the mean time i am just going to get used to my new surroundings and my new kitchen, which needs a lot of cleaning!  I still have a few reviews to post and recipes too (oopsie).




I was in Cornwall a few weeks ago and happened to eat a lot of cream teas, unsuprisingly! Even though we are quickly decending into the horrible cold depths of winter i thought i would still share with you my favourite scone recipe and some pictures of the delicious cream teas i tasted in Cornwall!








The best scones, from How to be a Domestic Goddess
Makes 12

500g plain flour
2 tsp bicarb of soda
4.5 tsp cream of tartar
50g cold butter, diced
25g trex
300ml full fat milk
1 free range egg, beaten

6.5 inch cutter, 1 baking tray and none stick lining paper



Into a large bowl sift the flour, cream of tartar and bicarb then rub in the butter and trex until the mix resembles damp sand. Add the milk in one go then mix very very briefly. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until a dough is formed. Roll it out to a 3cm thickness then stamp out as many scones as possible, you may have to re-roll to get 12. Put on a baking tray and brush the tops with beaten egg. Put in a preheated oven and cook for 10-12 minutes on 220 degrees until risen and golden.

Eat straight away with clotted cream and jam and fresh berries, yummy!


1 comment:

  1. Loved the pics and the dish.

    Do participate in the Desserts with Coconuts event and giveaway on my blog.
    http://rakshaskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/12/announcing-my-first-event-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete